Radford stays undefeated in conference play

Last Updated on


The Men’s Soccer Team remains undefeated in The Big South Conference after defeating Longwood University on the road Wednesday and Campbell University at home on Saturday.

The Highlanders started off their week in Farmville Virginia, where they took on the Longwood Lancers.  Radford dominated the match right from the start, scoring four of their first five goals in the first half.  Stephen Hudgens put the first one away just three minutes in to the game.  It was the senior midfielder’s second game-winning goal of the season.

All of the five goals the Highlanders scored came off of assists.  Two of those assists were corner kicks from freshman midfielder, Fraser Colmer.  Colmer now leads the Big South Conference with five assists.

Head coach Marc Reeves was very happy with the Highlanders performance.  “From the opening whistle, we played with quality and obviously got well ahead early in the game. We are also pleased with the way we defended, and we scored some great team goals tonight,” explained Reeves.

Neil Martorana, Ramzi Dridi, Dario Redondo, and Kryzystof Nalborski scored for the Highlanders as well.  The 5-0 win was the Highlanders sixth shutout of the season.

The Highlanders’ success carried over to their home game Saturday against Campbell University.  However, the 3-2 overtime victory over Campbell was not the only cause for celebration at Patrick D. memorial Cupp Stadium on Saturday evening.

The men’s soccer program also celebrated their 40th anniversary with a ceremony at halftime.  The ceremony honored all of the alumni and Hall of Famers from the programs forty-year history.

The Highlanders started off strong against Campbell as well.  Defender Daniel O’Keefe, a red-shirt junior from Alexandria, put the highlanders up 1-0 in the 26th minute.  Redondo put one in the back of the net in the 57th minute to make it a 2-0 game. It was Redondo’s third goal in as many games.

Radford had been dominating up until that point; however, Campbell wouldn’t go away quietly.  The Camels tied the game with two goals in less than two minutes.  The first one came on a direct kick from Hernan Mogollon, followed by a rebound goal from Bradley Farias in the 59th minute.

The Highlanders and Camels were tied after regulation, despite the fact that Radford had almost twice as many shots on goal as Campbell did.

It didn’t take Radford long to find the back of the net in overtime.  Hudgens hit a low left footed shot from the top of the eighteen that the keeper was unable to stop.  It was his second straight game winner and third of the season.  “We had a little rough patch in the middle, but it was good. In the overtime we knew, we knew were gonna get that goal,” said Hudgens.

The win is the sixth in a row for the Highlanders.  Radford is currently first in the Big South Conference, although three other teams are also undefeated in conference play.  Radford (8-2-2) (5-0) plays again on Friday at Highpoint University (5-4-1) (3-0).